Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author

I am working on cabling for the PTT from the Pi2 GPIO to the Easy Digi. I used my multi-meter and I am not getting 3.3v between pins 6 and 12 when the voice ID is sent.

Where can I go to see if pin 12 is actually set to go high when voice out is present?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gene
    N7ARO

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

Hello Gene,
    After you set the pin be sure to make sure that you 1) save and rebuild the configuration. 2) you will need to restart the system. The reason for this is there is also a script that has to register the GPIOs with the system upon starting the system. Once this is set this should be good. I think this is what your problem is.

If not check that the GPIOs are registered with the system by going to /sys/class/gpio via SSH and seeing if a directory exists for the GPIO(s) that you wish to use.

We are currently working on the next beta which should be a little more intuitive.

Hope this helps.
    Aaron
    N3MBH

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

OpenRepeater is offered free of charge. Find out how you can support us.

Aaron,

Under the TX/RX ports page, I changed the TX GPIO pin from 27 to 12 and still do not get 3.3v when the ID audio sounds. I rebuilt and rebooted afterwards.

Any thoughts?

Gene
    N7ARO

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

Hello Gene,
    did you check the /sys/class/gpio directory to see if “gpio12” is registered? Here is a good little tutorial on how you can check: https://sites.google.com/site/semilleroadt/raspberry-pi-tutorials/gpio
    You can also manually toggle the gpio hi and lo by writing a value to the pin.

1) check to see that the pin is automatically registered here after boot. This should be done by the ORP scripts.
    2) If not, you can try registering it yourself.
    3) you can use the above tutorial to toggle the pin state and check voltage.

If this doesn’t work there is alway a chance you have a bad/fried gpio pin.

Hope that helps.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

This may be obvious, but I figured I would check. Make sure you are using pin 32 which is GPIO 12 and not pin 12 which is GPIO 18 on the RPI2. Header pinouts do not match the gpio numbers which are the numbers from the CPU.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

Thank you for that last little nugget. I did some researching on the GPIO pins and pin 27 is actually pin 13 on the GPIO header.

Now I have a different problem – when the Pi boots, I get 3.3 volts on pin 27 (13) and it stays for a few minutes, then drops to 0v. It does not seem to go high when audio is being outputted.

I do have entries for gpio22 and gpio27 under /sys/class/gpio

I will read the tutorial you posted and see if I can understand better how the GPIO pins are triggered and I will report back any successes I have.

Thanks much.

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

You can use that last tutorial link above that I posted to manually toggle the GPIO state to high and low from the command line. This is a good way to test and troubleshoot. You will just need to ensure the pin you want to get a voltage on is setup as and out pin (“direction”) and write a value of 1 for high and a value of 0 for low.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

Using the tutorial, I can manually cycle gpio27 between 3.3v and 0. Thanks for the link.

When I go to the “TX/RX ports” tab on the Open Repeater web UI and set the “TX GPIO pin” to 27, what actually happens?

I have modified /etc/svxlink/svxlink.conf and /etc/rc.local to configure the GPIO PTT signal with no luck. It looks like the svxlink.conf is set to use /dev/ttys0 for the PTT.

Any other pointers?

Thanks for the hard work

Gene
    N7ARO

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

The locations you give for the svxlink.conf and rc.local I don’t think are correct. Our install uses some custom locations that Richard has set. I am not at home right now to check those. They are setup by a PHP script in the web gui. You can find that at /var/www/openrepeater/functions/svxlink_update.php. If you cat that file, at the very bottom there are paths to the files it writes to. As you can see there are some things that are hard coded which you could change in that file.

Let me know what the log page says. Does it show that SVXLink is starting correctly or are there errors?

Also you can try to manually stop and restart svxlink from the command line with the following commands. So you would check /sys/class/gpio and verify your desired ports are there that were set from the web interface. Then stop svxlink with “service svxlink stop” then restart with “service svxlink start”. You won’t see any response in window anything is happening. You would need to check the log page again.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

Aaron,

Thanks for the continued support. I did cat the .php file and followed where the directories and files were and everything looks right (TX gpio27, RX gpio22. 22 & 27 registered under /sys/class/gpio)

I can start and stop svxlink via command line. No errors in the Repeater Log.

I have done so much messing around in the OS and in svxlink that I think the best thing I can to at this point is to start from scratch.

I will report whether anything has changed or not after a fresh install.

73’s
    Gene
    N7ARO

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.