Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Can’t seem to get public proxy working in the EchLink module.
    I can get public proxy work on my windows sysop EchoLink repeater station but can’t seem to get it working on my portable OpenRepeater.

Running OpenRepeater Version 2.1.2 on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model b

Any helpful tips would be appreciated.

Bryan
    W1BRI

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

Bryan,
    I am not sure how much assistance I can be. I cannot say that I’ve had any experience setting up echolink with a proxy. The proxy settings in the module are an extension of those settings found in SVXLink and were added at the request of another user. It was a while ago, but I seem to recall that it worked in his case and it got committed into the next release.

If you want to post the configuration file that ORP outputs, I will try to take a look at it and see if I see anything out of place. I don’t have my test rig setup at the moment, but if I recall correctly the config file gets saved out to /etc/svxlink/svxlink.d/ModuleEchoLink.conf. If it’s the ORP file it should have a OpenRepeater header at the top of the file. Be sure to obfuscate any sensitive info like your password.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

OpenRepeater is offered free of charge. Find out how you can support us.

Aaron;

Thanks for your reply:
    I did some more investigation, still no luck getting public EchoLink proxy working.

I created a PDF of the info you requested and some other screen shots.
    I also would like to share some photos of my mini portable ORP project.
    Is there a way I can send you the PDF, I don’t see anyplace I can attached here ?

Bryan
    W1BRI
    EchoLink node 3819 (W1BRI-R)

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

I shot you an email that you can reply to.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

Aaron;

Well I pretty much spent the entire day racking my brain on how to have my main EchoLink -R node active and ORP -L at the same time on my home network. Seems there is not a simple solution. Was thinking of having my nephew support a private proxy for me but he also runs a simplex node (-L) using svxlink on R_Pi at this apartment and faces the same simultaneous challenge.

(FYI: going to get him to switch to using ORP at some point, since its a much nicer interface).

I was thinking I could beat the system trying to get clever using port triggering but that’s pretty complicated.

So the simplest solution would be to host a private proxy running on a R_Pi at some other location which would be easy to setup but probably hard to maintain if this other location is say any hour ride from me.

So back to public proxy thing: You’ve probably have seen how using EchoLink on an iPhone can automatically pick an available public proxy automatically. I wonder if something like this exist using ORP/Svxlink ? I think this would be a nice feature to have.

Bryan
    W1BRI

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

Hello Bryan,
    You certain have a unique and challenging situation that is a first encounter for me. It might be simpler if you didn’t have the other node to contend with on your network…same in your nephews case.

I was trying to do some more research into a VPN solution. While in theory it should work over a VPN service that would assign you IP while connected, I would imagine that it would have to assign the IP address to you alone while you are connected and using the VPN connection. It would also have to allow port forwarding or just allow incoming ports, and would have to run on by some means on the Raspberry Pi.

I have NordVPN that I use for outbound connections that I wish to secure. Unfortunately I checked with them and they do not open inbound ports, so they’d be a no go. I am not sure if any of the others offer that ability. There is also OpenVPN, but you’d still have to host that somewhere to make the tunnel connection and it have to be on a network that you could administer or have administered without another EchoLink node living on it. So it would be similar to the private proxy that you were suggesting.

You really have me scratching my head on this one. Have you reported back to Groups.io for SVXLink? There have been a few guys responding there. Not sure if they would have some other solutions. I don’t think that they initially understood the dilemma.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.