Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hello,

it is possible to interconnect zello with Open Repeater, just as they do with echolink?

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

Anything may be possible, but it would have to be built into a module to do so, like echolink is. I wasn’t sure what Zello was so I had to look it up. It looks like it may be more of a commercial solution. ORP focuses more the Amateur Radio side of things. If someone was to spend the time working on other VOIP integrations it would likely be on something like Allstar network and IRLP. Hope that helps.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

OpenRepeater is offered free of charge. Find out how you can support us.

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

Also a concern with Zello is that it is more opened than something like echolink…meaning anyone with the app on there phone could potentially connect into an amateur repeater and make unauthorized broadcasts. Services like Echolink are designed for amateur radio and accounts are vetted to ensure the user is a licensed ham. Of course right now this is just therory of practicality. There might be other issues integrating it as well, but this is a big road block.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

OpenRepeater is offered free of charge. Find out how you can support us.

old thread
    as for zello you can make a room and password it ..i have bee using zello to link to our local repeater for over 4 years with zero issues of “invaders” only two hams have the password or even know of the rooms name ..the local hams have zero idea that we are using zello to link to the repeater .
    security is not a issue if you trust who you give the password to
    as the latency is lower than echolink and far superior codecs it is a more natural sounding app than any ham one i have tried .
    i have also used skype in the past but that required a dtmf interface to key and unkey the radio (* for tx # for rx)..both aps i have channel manipulation via dtmf to jump to another set of frequencies (10 “channels” in all which is what the radio has programmed in it ) via dtmf control to link to other repeaters including our national system linked repeaters chain here in New Zealand
    these days we only use zello and no longer need the #/* to enable tx/rx as the cor and vox handle the switching
    open repeater has protental but more need to build modules ..sadly i am not in a position to do so

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.