Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Joe, NE2Z
    User

Per subject.

I am looking for the equivalent of a “developer guide” that points me to when a feature should be implemented core to SVXLINK versus provided via ORP.

Thanks and 73,

– Joe, NE2Z

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

Hi Joe,
    I guess that depends on what that feature is. SVXLink is a pretty capable already; however, you have to be a programming genius to configure it. ORP sits on top of that and we create UI to request input, then create logic to interpret that and output config files. This makes a great lesser know application more accessible by the majority. Our challenge is to make that logic without convoluting the end results. UI design is a big factor for me personally, because I want everyone to be able to understand what they are doing.

Let me know your thoughts and I will point you in the right direction. In some case, you may just want to hack the install to customize it to your liking. If that’s the case I can point you in the general direction.

Now that 1.1.0 is out, my focus is working on improving documentation. We should be launching a knowledge base soon.

Aaron, N3MBH

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

OpenRepeater is offered free of charge. Find out how you can support us.

Joe, NE2Z
    User

Thanks Aaron,

I fully appreciate the value ORP brings to the table. I just want to be sure the features I am envisioning are compatible to the mission. In a past life I worked for a startup where we were the GUI in front of heterogeneous technology so I can appreciate the diminishing returns as one build a GUI toward command line parity 🙂

As a bit of fun, I want to build a “Ask the 8 Ball” module. You simple enter a DTMF command and you receive a random voice message with the pool of messages being a typical “Ask the 8 Ball” response.

As a feature, I would like the long ID to be a different voice message each announcement from a list of recorded messages. Can be in order and then loop.

– Joe, NE2Z

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Joe, NE2Z.
    Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

Hi Joe,
    The 8 ball module sounds like a SVXLink Module. I haven’t gotten into module development too much yet. I am hoping to build a framework in ORP that will support a WordPress style plugin architecture that will allow upload a zip file via the UI and it will unpack and hook into the UI and svxlink respectively. But that could be a ways off.

The looping feature of the long ID might be more on the SVXLink side too. The UI has some scripts to process the uploaded audio, then it writes out the path in a TCL override file that tells SVXLink to use that file. I am not sure that it has the functionality to loop through multiple files. It would be nice to add schedule based announcements in the future.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

Joe, NE2Z
    User

Hi Aaron,

Understood on the strategy. Given lack of SVXLink documentation, I am still figuring out the nesting/relationships of the Events, Logic, and RepeaterLogic TCL files. I’m thinking I could
    create the 8 ball module just with TCL and some sound files.

For the looping long ID I can cheat for now with a cronjob that changes link to next sound file in a list to point or the like. Thanks.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Joe, NE2Z.
    Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

Sounds good, if you figured it out let us know. We might be able to build upon you findings and add it in as a feature. Good luck.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.