Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hi
    Should the watchdog work using the SVXLink card Version 1.11? as mine does’t seem to work there is no pulse coming from the Raspberry Pi, any help would b appreciated
    I’m using the latest version of OpenRepeater 2.1.2

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

Hello Richard,
    The watchdog feature built into the SVXLink card does not currently have built-in support in the ORP images, it would be a feature you would need to manually configure.

They have a starter guide here: http://svxcard.f5uii.net/doku.php?id=en:configuration_watchdog

That should help you get started. Up to this point we have not really had any requests for the feature in ORP. Just would need some folks to help test and come up with a solution. I’ve been considering adding a field to the board presets table that could reference a bash script to fire off when a specific preset is loaded. This might be able to handle the automation of setting up something board specific like the watchdog on the SVXLink Card. That script would need to probably write out a python file, set permissions on the file and call it on boot up as well as set the referenced GPIO pins.

Hope that helps.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

OpenRepeater is offered free of charge. Find out how you can support us.

Hi Aron
    The guide shown in previous post works but not the test code, all that needs to be done to start the process when the Raspberry boots is to add the line to rc.local shown below just after the lines added in the above guide and before the exit 0 line, the full path has to be given or it doesn’t work

sudo python /usr/bin/test-watchdog.py

I had the problem that there was no delay when the process stopped, this was found to be a PCB track fault, set 2 on the MAX6369 was not connected (set 2 had no volts on it) I mention this in case it isn’t a one off and other boards may have the same fault

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

So sounds like you got it working. I will try to come back to this for a future release. I am hoping to add a line to run a board specific bash script for certain boards. This would be in the board presets definitions. If a script is referenced then it would run that too. Still considering how to implement this, but I have another piece of hardware that will likely require something like this.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

Hi Aaron

One problem with the watchdog is that if you shut the Raspberry Pi down the watch dog starts it up again

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

Hi Richard,
    Yes that would probably be the desired result under normal operation. That way if the Pi locked up or power was lost then restored, then it would keep trying to get the pi to boot. It is a stand alone circuit so it has no really way to communicate with the OS. I haven’t messed with the Watchdogs at all myself.

Looking at the Schematic, you’d have to set JP12 to enable it. If you desired to shut it down you could pull the JP12 or wire in a toggle switch to JP12.

There is also a watchdog built into the Pi itself…which I have also not messed with. You can find a discussion of it here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=210974

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.