First of all introducing myself Chris G4NAB (Formerly F5VMR for the past 13 years). I have NOT been a user of OpenRepeater at all, having always compiled the repeater software from source at svxlink.org via the github over the past 10 or more years. The current development of the SVXlink software with SVXReflector, and the SVXlink-ursp module for Digital conversion is where I am at present. I am sysop for a number of repeaters in France and the UK, both analogue and digital, I only encountered ORP very recently with the arrival of a new device to test, a DJSpot, a small raspberry pi zero powered device, with an FRS radio module and SoundHat. It arrived full charged with ORP, and I was impressed by the methodology. However, that’s where the experiment halted for a day or two as the SDCard filing system packed up, and although I’d backed-up the image, the image also had a defect from source. So I resorted to my tried and tested method of hand compilation, configuration and re-adjusting the Logic.tcl, RepeaterLogic.tcl, and the CW.tcl. This little hotspot not only works on EchoLink but I have applied the same changes to three other repeaters in France and the UK, and Stefan DK6PX offered his repeater for the tests as well. I have built an SVXReflector on another Raspberry Pi in the office, shortly to be followed by SVXPortal developed by SA2BLV, that assembles these repeaters on a stable network, unconnected until activity on each repeater forces a connection either by all listening to one pseudo-talkgroup, or by dtmf command to force such a link on further pseudo talk-groups. For ease of programming I’ve used the same TG numbers that are used on DMR. This may help in the later development of the DVSwitch/Analog/MMDVM_Bridge on the same Raspberry Pi. Aaron N3MBH has pointed out that the development of svxreflector is a little way off yet for ORP, but it is so valuable that I consider it as a vital and necessary step forward. Although ORP has SVXLink v.19.1.17, the latest Master Version has been considerably enhanced since then with the progress I have indicated in recent months.
I have read that some of you are eager to proceed with this next phase, and I for one would like, and enjoy to help. Before the fracture of the SD Card I did add the relevant paragraphs to svxlink.conf, and added the ReflectorLogic.tcl and it did work, but I did not dare go back to the dashboard as it was inevitable that my changes would be overwritten by the back office in the ngnx server. In the event I turned off the svxlink.service and the ngnx.service and restarted the svxlink in my normal fashion until the first card fractured.
Please feel free to comment and mail me, and read my blog g4nab.co.uk. There is a page (search for buster) with full instructions for a raspberry pi manual compile of svxlink. An image is so easy, but learning compilation has been so rewarding.