Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

i would like to see a vpn client added so i can control the repeater from the comfort of my shack.

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

VPN shouldn’t be necessary as this is designed to be run headless. Anything you should need to do should be able to be accomplished via the Web GUI and SSH. All you’d have to do is set a static IP address for the NIC and make sure you take care of the appropriate routing to access externally. To make network address translation easier, you could use a service like Weaved which also offers mobile apps to connect to the service. I am currently using this on my RPI A+ that I use to control my garden irrigation and it works really well. As time goes on and we add more functions into the Web GUI, there should be less need for SSH. Also there will probably also be some DTMF control also.

As we expand out documentation we will probably include a tutorial on how to setup Weaved.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

OpenRepeater is offered free of charge. Find out how you can support us.

I only say vpn so i can put the repeater in a remote site and still access it from home.

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

OK. All that should be achievable with properly routed ports for SSH and HTTP. Weaved should make it much simpler. We plan to take a look into Weaved and do some tests with it.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

i notice that on the RPi image, OpenVPN is installed, but not configured or started.

There’s room for movement there if SSL encryption (https) and SSH isn’t “strong enough” or convenient enough.

IE: configure OpenVPN on the unit in a “receiving” posture for “remote users” to connect to.

Actually, there are probably canned configurations for this out there, and perhaps web UIs for such a beast as well.. 🙂

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

Richard is working on a shell configuration menu. He said he is going to add this in.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘remote control’ is closed to new replies.