Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Hi Dan, I have a RX radio but have TX audio in to an audio amp to monitor output and PTT disconnected. (I have no duplexer or other means to isolate RX and TX frequencies)
    I have COS switch in the LOW position (according to the manual diagram).
    Front LED lights when I key my HT and also the back LED lights.
    Front LED goes off when I unkey HT and the back LED remains on for a few seconds and then goes off.
    If COS switch is set to high (toward the level adjust pots) front LED stays on all the time and goes off when I key HT and send DTMF “*”. Back LED never lights and log says ignoring DTMF tone “*” since repeater is not up. I have squelch set very high on radio to prevent any stray noise but will get random ID’s and courtesy beeps, possibly from noise from receiver.
    So setting to LOW allows DTMF tones to be decoded and repeater responses to commands.

Dan, KG7PAR
    Forum Administrator

Hi Randy,

use the setting you have that causes the leds to work right. On when expected, off when not expected. It sounds like from a COS hardware standpoint you are in good shape as you are seeing the correct behaviors with the LEDS, and being you are getting the DTMF messages you have the right receive audio connections and the backend audio settings are reasonable.

Can you summarize again what symptom you are seeing now that we know the hardware is configured correctly?

Thanks Dan, I will need to refine my audio setting, but they are working for now. The repeater ID’s are very readable and at a good level. Is this a good standard for rough setting of my levels and replies from echolink?
    I can activate Echolink but I cannot connect to my repeater from another computer or I cannot connect to another node from my repeater. N4UUJ-R shows as active on Echolink station list. It says connecting but times out and never connects….according to the repeater log. I can connect to 9999# the echolink echo test conference server and it will echo back. Does that mean it is able to connect and setup is correct. In my past experience with Echolink I thought that was a test for a working configuration for Echolink.
    My hardware question is: will I use two radios, like a standard repeater, to have an Echolink link to a local repeater. It seems that would cause an endless loop as I have read. What configuration would I want. Would be the same for a crossband configuration. You had mentioned changing to simplex in the software. Or does the software take care of the loop problem.

Sorry Arron, I missed some earlier post of you and Dan and have repeated some old information on my desired configuration. I will do some more work on my Echolink connection, if it looks like I have the hardware setup correctly. Yes, my original setup caused some weird effects. Sorry!

My first goal is to have Echolink access to a local repeater. (The repeater is having some interference problems of late so the operator may not want this at this time.) Then, the second goal would be a stand alone local VHF access for our remote area with Echolink for those working outside the area. Much like the simplex DStar gateway I operate with five watts giving about a ten mile radius coverage. I had a simplex Echolink node in mind when I started but I am not sure of what is possible and if I have what I need. I can do crossband id necessary to have two radios. I was thinking since Echolink is simplex, my repeater would only need to be simplex. Would it be easier with the 2X board? My Linux skills are limited and copying code seems to lead to problems due my lack of knowledge.

Dan, KG7PAR
    Forum Administrator

I am not a great authority for anything echolink in general or tuning the audio levels,, but I would start with setting the audio where it sounds reasonable volume without distortion. I test with a pc based sine wave generator and sweep the frequency through a few 1khz steps looking for distortion on an oscilloscope at the input to the audio chipset (“Q1/Q2” on the controller board. These are actually 0-ohm resistors not transistors on the board. just above the ethernet interface on the raspberry pi.

Then after I am comfortable with the input signal, I would say do the same thing going through the echo server and check the output that goes into the audio amp.

I think we will need to play with your scenerio some to come up with the best approach here.

Since you have the 2x controller, you by default of the current image have a simplex and duplex port at hand to swap back and forth against.

Port 1 is full duplex, while port 2 is simplex only at this time. I think we will need to get you into the config file outside the menu tree, but Aaron and I can work with you on that.

I usually test echolink on my mobile, I have my base callsign ID on my phone and have the callsign-R ID on the controller. Be sure to have the mobile on the cell network and not wifi, then its easy to “call” yourself for testing both directions. Power is out at my QTH or I would offer to let you use it as a dead end remote node for testing. the range on the setup is about 10 ft so the risk of issues is extremely low. 50 ohm dummy load right on the radio port keeps all but very local signals out of the receiver and the Tx doesn’t even get outside the shack.

Hi Dan: I have the 1X board so only one port.

Dan, KG7PAR
    Forum Administrator

Sorry, helping several people at one time! Mind in a blender today lol

Success!! After long hours of struggling to get ports open and public it is working today after I read an article about using NO-IP to get echolink into my node. (at least I think that is what is different….also added port triggering as well as port forwarding) Port checker still says port 5198-5199 & 5200 are closed but it is working? I can connect from home on same IP address on my home router and from LTE from my Iphone and a friend has connected as well.

My question now is…I have the ICS 1X board and wish to operate simplex. Is that option in the works or will I have to modify the SVX program (OMG) or should I just get the 2X board. I thought a using the Busy Channel Lock Out feature to stop the TX while RX in progress on my single Yeasu FT1500 radio but it does not have that feature. I want to use as simplex link to a local repeater thus can’t have the second radio transmitting while receiving causing a loop. RX to echolink IN and echolink OUT to TX. N4UUJ-R 242989 What is the best way forward?

I currently am testing with one radio as a receiver and the TX is fed to an amplified speaker. I do have a second radio but no duplexer is planned as yet.

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

Randy,
    I address the simplex question you are asking here: https://openrepeater.com/forums/topic/custom-voice-id-files/#post-2763

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

OpenRepeater is offered free of charge. Find out how you can support us.

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.