Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Hi,
    I use a Pi3 and Pi-Repeater 1-x.
    Unfortunately I can not get the interface to activate the PTT.
    I loaded the board presets and it shows Port 1 GPIO 26 and 506.

/sys/class/gpio does not show 506 but 504, consequently the log file shows:
    *** ERROR: Could not open GPIO /sys/class/gpio/gpio506/value for writing in transmitter TX_Port1.
    and bails out.

How can I fix this inconsistency?

Georg, DD8ZX

Hi
    in addition to my above post I changed the GPIO pin # from 506 which is loaded by interface preload with 504 for which entries in /sys/class/gpio exist. See log file:
    qte
    Mon Jul 1 15:25:24 2019: *** ERROR: Could not open GPIO /sys/class/gpio/gpio506/value for writing in transmitter TX_Port1.
    Mon Jul 1 15:25:24 2019: *** ERROR: Could not initialize TX “TX_Port1”
    Mon Jul 1 15:25:24 2019: *** ERROR: Could not initialize Logic object “ORP_SimplexLogic_Port1”. Skipping…
    Mon Jul 1 15:25:24 2019: *** ERROR: No logics available. Bailing out…
    Mon Jul 1 15:26:02 2019: SvxLink v1.6.1 Copyright (C) 2003-2017 Tobias Blomberg / SM0SVX
    Mon Jul 1 15:26:02 2019:
    Mon Jul 1 15:26:02 2019: SvxLink comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software, and you are
    Mon Jul 1 15:26:02 2019: welcome to redistribute it in accordance with the terms and conditions in the
    Mon Jul 1 15:26:02 2019: GNU GPL (General Public License) version 2 or later.
    Mon Jul 1 15:26:02 2019: Using configuration file: /etc/svxlink/svxlink.conf
    Mon Jul 1 15:26:02 2019: — Using sample rate 48000Hz
    Mon Jul 1 15:26:02 2019: Starting logic: ORP_SimplexLogic_Port1
    Mon Jul 1 15:26:02 2019: Loading RX: RX_Port1
    Mon Jul 1 15:26:02 2019: Loading TX: TX_Port1
    Mon Jul 1 15:26:02 2019: ORP_SimplexLogic_Port1: Event handler script successfully loaded.
    unqte

Unfortunately GPIO504 is not connected to the PTT…

I am not familiar with GPIO extension chip and cannot figure out which pin # corresponds to GPB2 on the GPIO expander chip.

Thank you for your advise

Georg, DD8ZX

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

Georg,
    Dan with ICS is on vacation this week and he usually answers the questions pertaining to the ICS boards…but I will see what I can do to assist you.

Let try to pinpoint where the issue is occurring:
    Go to your /sys/class/gpio folder and try to manually register the GPIO pin and toggle it. You can register it with the following two commands

echo 506 > /sys/class/gpio/export
    echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio506/direction

…and toggle it with these two commands…

echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio506/value
    echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio506/value

This will tell us if the GPIO expander is properly setup and working correctly. If you cannot setup and toggle the pins then there may be other issues. In that case, try issues “i2cdetect -y 1” at the command line and post the results back here. That will tell us which ICs are being recognized on the I2C bus.

Also if you could, please post the contents of your “/etc/svxlink/gpio.conf” file. That will tell me if ORP is able to write to this file.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

OpenRepeater is offered free of charge. Find out how you can support us.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Aaron, N3MBH.

Good Morning,
    I already tried this before I contacted you.
    qte
    root@DL0DLH:/sys/class/gpio# echo 506 > /sys/class/gpio/export
    -bash: echo: Schreibfehler: Das Gerät oder die Ressource ist belegt.
    unqte
    In English: The device or resource is busy.
    I assume that this also happens when the startup sequence tries to initialize the pin.
    I also ran i2cdetect and get “UU” at address 0a and 20, so the chip is being recognized.

Contents of gpio.conf
    qte
    ###############################################################################
    #
    # OPENREPEATER / SVXLINK CONFIGURATION FILE
    # This file was auto generated by OpenRepeater.
    # DO NOT MAKE CHANGES IN THIS FILE AS THEY WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    #

#
    # Configuration file for the SvxLink server GPIO Pins
    #

# GPIO system pin path
    # RPi/odroid/nanopi/pine64 = /sys/class/gpio, orangpi = /sys/class/gpio_sw
    GPIO_PATH=/sys/class/gpio

# Space separated list of GPIO pins that point IN and have an
    # Active HIGH state (3.3v = ON, 0v = OFF)
    GPIO_IN_HIGH=””

# Space separated list of GPIO pins that point IN and have an
    # Active LOW state (0v = ON, 3.3v = OFF)
    GPIO_IN_LOW=”gpio26″

# Space separated list of GPIO pins that point OUT and have an
    # Active HIGH state (3.3v = ON, 0v = OFF)
    GPIO_OUT_HIGH=”gpio504″

# Space separated list of GPIO pins that point OUT and have an
    # Active LOW state (0v = ON, 3.3v = OFF)
    GPIO_OUT_LOW=””

# User that should own the GPIO device files
    GPIO_USER=”svxlink”

# Group for the GPIO device files
    GPIO_GROUP=”daemon”

# File access mode for the GPIO device files
    GPIO_MODE=”0664″root@DL0DLH:/etc/svxlink#
    unqte

Looking at the file I get the impression it tries to define pin504 for input and output.
    Thank you

Georg, DD8ZX
    Georg, DD8ZX

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

Seems odd to me. GPIO config seems to be OK. Why again were you changing the PTT to 504 from 506?

I am not even sure that GPIO 504 is an available pin on the expender chip according to their documentation:

Port 1 PINS:
    PTT – GPIO506 Active high
    COS – GPIO26 Active Low
    CTCSS – GPIO24 Active Low
    Audio input – FE Pi Right Channel
    Audio output – FE PI Right Channel

GPIO PINS:
    GPA0 – GPIO496
    GPA1 – GPIO497
    GPA2 – GPIO498
    GPA3 – GPIO499
    GPA4 – GPIO500
    GPA5 – GPIO501
    GPA6 – GPIO502
    GPA7 – GPIO503

The pins shown above are broken out on the 16 pin header?

Do you have the manual for the board?

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

Hi,
    I changed it to pin504 because that pin was shown as available. If I enter it in the config page svxlink runs OK.

gpio.config tries to insert pin504 even though it should be 506.

Is there a persistent logfile which shows what is happening at boot Time?

Georg, DD8ZX

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

OK, after you change it back to another pin like 506, then make sure you click the update ports button, then rebuild/restart. It is the rebuild/restart that writes the GPIO config.

-So the settings get saved into the SQLite database.
    -Then when a Rebuild/Restart is initiated, the config files get regenerated and a request is send for SVXLink to restart.
    -When SVXLink restarts, it should read the updated gpio.conf file and handle pin registration. There has been some glitches seen here in the past with their setup/teardown scripts. Sometimes a restart is required to get around this.

Note: There are two tables in the DB that the GPIO pin gets logged into. There is the main ports table, then there is also a gpio pins table that keeps track of all GPIO pins and their direction and what they are used for. The gpio.conf file is built from that table.

What version of ORP are you using? Was it a downloaded IMG file, or did you build it with our script?

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

I just tested it again. Changed port# to 504, pressed update ports, started recompile and svxlink started without error. Changed back to 506, pressed ports update, pressed recompile and svxlink keeps coming up with the error. Also a reboot did not help.

I used your .IMG file, why should I compile it myself if you have done all the dirty work for me already?

I do have some rudimentary know how about sql, but I do not feel competent enough to extract the pieces from the database.

What still bugs me is the fact that the systems claims that pin506 is in use. Who claims pin506? And why is it evidently not set up correctly, but 504 instead?

Georg, DD8ZX

Sorry, here some more infos I forgott tell you.
    I do have the hardware manual and there I learned that if the PTT is activated, a red LED will light up. This does not happen. If I turn down the squelch on the connected radio (Yaesu FT-8100) a red LED does light up, so this part works.
    Georg, DD8ZX

Hi,
    I got it to work.
    I was a bit p o ed last night and scratched the SD-card, copied a freshly downloaded image on the card and redid everything.

It is even speaking perfect German now, including correct pronunciation of the 24-hour clock. I followed you advise and just renamed the directory de_DE to en_US and it worked.

Thank you for your help!

Georg, DD8ZX

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.