Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Can we include FRS/GMRS for temporary use for say, CERT uses? I have my GMRS and HAM license. WOuld be nice to program some wouxon type radios for this use (if legal in the US).
    Also, do you have an eta for the HW interface for the PI?

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

Greetings Steve,
    There is no reason why the controller wouldn’t work with GMRS. It is just a matter of the radios used. However that being said you CANNOT do this under normal circumstances. FRS is illegal to have repeaters in the US. These are unlicensed low power frequencies (except for a few shared frequencies). GMRS is licensed channels as the type that you have. You can have repeaters on these channel however, I am not up on all the regulation. I do know that the Wouxon type radios are not FCC Type certified for GMRS so it is technically illegal to use those type radios. You would have to use radios intended for GMRS. There are also issues with using TX and RX radios within the same band without running through a duplexer.

The rules are out the window in emergency situations so in a SHTF case, non-hams could use the ham bands. You’d be better off going that route and doing a one-way cross-band repeater and programing some dual band radios to work with it.

Hope that helps and Merry Christmas.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

OpenRepeater is offered free of charge. Find out how you can support us.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.