Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I configured the Echolink section as follows:
    EchoLink Callsign N8CN-R
    EchoLink Password (dots)
    Sysop Name Joe
    Location Traverse City, MI
    Description Welcome to the\r\nOpen Repeater\r\nTest Server!

It said “Connected, Node ID 994420”
    I launched the app on my phone, and then went to the web.
    I saw my phone online as “N8CN” but not the repeater.

I searched for the node ID 994420 and saw station “N3MBH-R” online.
    I connected to it, thinking “Well, it’s either not taking the Web UI variables and putting them in the correct place, so we’re falling back on defaults, or I’ll actually be able to say hi to Aaron in real-time. :)”

The former happened – I was connected to my own repeater.

So, the callsign being set via the Web UI is not being used by the svxlink echo link module when the connection is made. (makes me wonder about the password too..)

Additionally, the EchoLink status might be a good tidbit to display on the Dashboard page in a box:

EchoLink Status:
    Callsign:
    Node ID:
    Last Connection:

-jre

From what I can tell, activating the EchoLink module (or modifying the settings) causes a merge from data within /etc/openrepeater/svxlink/svxlink.d/ModuleEchoLinkOLD.conf into the “realtime file” /etc/openrepeater/svxlink/svxlink.d/ModuleEchoLink.conf

The bummer is, there appears to be static data in the OLD file (N3MBH username, etc) that is not being overwritten by part of the process.

I’m confused because ModuleEchoLink.conf appears to contain the actual data being used, but ModuleEchoLinkOLD.conf still had the original data in it.

Well, on a whim, I put my OWN credentials into this file and did “service svxlink restart” – the result is that I showed up on the status page with my own callsign!

http://www.echolink.org/logins.jsp

N8CN-R Traverse City, MI ON 01:17 288970

It also didn’t appear to “take over” Aaron’s session (as happened last time):
    N3MBH-R OpenRepeater Test Server ON 00:17 994420

We have another echo link node I can hit from my dining room table here in Traverse City.
    I tried to link to it:
    W8TVC-R Traverse City, Michigan ON 00:21 56464

This was successful, it announced on its frequency that “N8CN Repeater” had connected.
    Transmissions made on that repeater came through mine.
    But transmissions through my repeater did not come through that repeater. The PTT line was held up like there should have been audio, but nothing came through.

I disconnected and tried a connection to N3MBH repeater. I heard the default echo link svxlink hello message sent from the N3MBH repeater.

Couldn’t get anyone on the air to verify that they could hear me, and I couldn’t hear much back.

Guess I will go try the test server and see if audio is passing to and from it properly.

But – word of advice. MANUALLY EDIT YOUR OWN INFO into the file: /etc/openrepeater/svxlink/svxlink.d/ModuleEchoLinkOLD.conf
    or your echo link will not come online due to using bad credentials. For some reason in beta1-beta3, this file contains default information that isn’t being changed by the WebUI in a way that affects its realtime operation.

(edit: since I could not confirm 100% proper operation of echo link without confirming with Aaron N3MBH I’m leaving my echo link disabled until that time. I’ll update with a confirmation if it’s deemed a success.)

Joe

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

Thanks Joe for all your debugging and testing. I have pointed this out to Richard so he can track down the issue and make fixes for the next release. In the meantime, I have changed my password for Echolink so you shouldn’t be able to log into with those credentials any longer. I have been out of town for almost a week now, so sorry I missed your connection. My dev setup right now isn’t tied into a live repeater system, just a speaker and some simple test hardware. I have used it to serve Echolink connections which I can connect to via my phone client. I’d say if you found a work around and you are showing up in the Echolink Directory, then there should be problems with you keeping echolink active.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

OpenRepeater is offered free of charge. Find out how you can support us.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘echolink ID issue’ is closed to new replies.