Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hello,
    I stumbled upon this project and it looks like exactly what I need for my emergency repeater setup, but I have literally no idea what I am doing whatsoever. I do not know anything about circuitry, nor do I have any knowledge of the wiring required by my radios. I am currently running EchoStation with two TYT-9000D UHF radios and a Rigblaster Nomic. Can anybody assist me in building this system from scratch. An in-depth guide would be great, as the very minimal diagram on the Getting Started page is no help to me.

Thanks,
    Scott Stelloh
    KD2LWH

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

Hello Scott and thanks for your interest in the project. Unfortunately, there is no simple solution just yet. ORP is working to simplify the software aspects of SVXLink and make it more accessible via a web GUI and prebuilt linux images to download and copy on to RPI memory cards.

Hardware is still a bit of work and knowhow. There are some interface board in the works to simplify the process, but those will probably be offered as kits for the foreseeable future. It might be a ways off before there is a preassembled board offered. I am working on gathering the parts and testing a board put together by Richard, KB3VGW. More on that later.

If you don’t the electronics skills and understanding of wiring, I would recommend pairing up with a local buddy and perhaps work on the project together. These should be some updates coming out in the future. To keep up to date, check the site once in a while, follow any of social media pages, or subscribe to our mailing list. Social media is probably the most active.

Hope that give you some direction to look forward to.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

OpenRepeater is offered free of charge. Find out how you can support us.

Aaron (or anybody else),
    I know which connectors on my radio’s motherboard, and I have a room full of different types of copper wire. My uncle and boss are both licensed electricians so I am sure I can get somebody to do the soldering for me. Basically, if I connect the correct Easy-Digi connector with the matching connector in my radio, it should work? Wiring

Does it have to be a specific type of copper wire, or just any insulated piece? Sorry for all the questions, just want to build this in the beginning of January without waiting for any kit.

Thanks,
    KD2LWH

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

Your audio lines should probably be shielded audio wire. Your PTT and COS lines can be something like CAT5 wire. You may be able to get by with Shielded CAT5 patch cable (stranded conductors) to use for everything. You will also need to consider proper shielding of the RPI and interface circuits from RFI as it can cause weird issues. The easy digi doesn’t include the a COS circuit and it is strongly recommended that you build your own. The VOX functionality is strongly discouraged as it is unreliable. That also means if your RX radio doesn’t have a COS line, you will need to find instructions to modify to add one.

This is a more advanced project, so there will be a steep learning curve. Good luck and have fun.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

OpenRepeater is offered free of charge. Find out how you can support us.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.