Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I finally received the EasyDigi and now working on getting things together. I noticed that Beta 2 was available and when I downloaded it, wrote it to an SD Card and powered up the BeagleBone Black, OpenReater did not come up and when going to the IP Address I see BeagleBone 101 and the URL is http://172.16.252.118/Support/bone101

In Beta 1 when going to the IP Address the OpenRepater Login Page was displayed.

Also following the Getting Started Guide, only 2 wires from the EasyDigi connect to the GPIO Header but further down in the instructions where it talks about setting the GPIO Pins inside of the software a number is for TX and RX. I am a bit confused on this. The EasyDigi that I have is one that was wired for a Yaeseu Radio which I simply cut the data jack plug and wired up a Sub D 25 Pin Plug to the back of the Kenwood TRK-751 repeater that I am trying to use.

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

Greetings,
    Thanks for trying out the project and your valuable feedback. Well it sounds like there might be an issue with Beta 2 if you are getting the Beaglebone 101 page. That service should have been disabled during the build. For the BBB I don’t believe there is any fundamental change in functionality between Beta 1 and Beta 2. Perhaps stick with Beta 1 for now unless you want to disable the BBB 101 services so that they don’t conflict with the ORP web server. We are working on the next Beta that will add some more functionality. I am also trying to make sure that the team test things more thoroughly before we push out a public release.

As for the RX and TX and GPIO pins, the instructions are geared more toward the RPI2 version since this is the more popular board at the moment. I would also recommend adding the COS circuit (shown on hardware page) and not use the software VOX mode. In that case you would be using 4 pins on the GPIO header: Ground, 3.3v (for pull up resister), Input GPIO for RX/COS curcuit, and Output GPIO for TX/PTT.

For my BBB I use GPIO 7 for TX/PTT and GPIO 30 for RX/COS. Make sure that you set the RX mode to COS. It also won’t start up unless you have your sound card configured properly. This might be a good form thread to read regarding that: https://openrepeater.com/forums/topic/errors-help

It would either be alsa:plughw:1 or alsa:plughw:0. Just use “lsusb -l” to determine what it would be. i.e. if your card shows up as “Card 1” then it will be alsa:plughw:1. We are working to make it more of an “auto detect” process and remove some of the complication factors of SVXLink. Hope that helps.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

OpenRepeater is offered free of charge. Find out how you can support us.

Thanks for this info. I love the Amateur Radio hobby but I missed the train when it comes to Electronics. Would this circuit be added to the Easy Digi and if so where.

Once I can get this live and get familiar with it, I can assist with the software side of things as my background is linux, php, cfml.

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

The simple COS circuit would be external to the pre-made Easy Digi board. Probably could just assemble it on a perf board. We are working on our own board design so stay tuned. It would be geared more towards the Raspberry Pi form factor, but could be adapted to connect to a BBB. Let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

OpenRepeater is offered free of charge. Find out how you can support us.

Thanks for this info. What I am doing will be placing the COS circuit inside of the Easy Digi case that I purchased for another radio to try SSTV but instead will be using it on this project. This will allow me to connect the PC End to the Kenwood DB-25 Connector without any external wires.

I will have to get a Raspberry Pi2 at somepoint as all I have are Raspberry Pi Model B’s laying around. Another MicroPC board that might be interesting to use is called the Liva PC if everything can be wired to use a USB Port, these little machines are very powerful

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘BeagleBone Black Beta2’ is closed to new replies.