Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I want to set a static IP address for my OpenRepeater setup. The instructions posted in Getting Started don’t match up when I try to implement it. All I see in the file /etc/network/interfaces is:
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)

# Please note that this file is written to be used with dhcpcd
    # For static IP, consult /etc/dhcpcd.conf and ‘man dhcpcd.conf’

# Include files from /etc/network/interfaces.d:
    source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I looked at dhcpcd.conf but it is not clear if this is the file I should be modifying. Operating in this environment is very new to me so some specific instructions of how to go from dhcp to assigning a static address would be very helpful. Thanks.

Loren – W1UV

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

Hello Loren,
    My advice is not to set a static IP in in the Pi itself, but rather in your router which hands out the DHCP address. Leave the Pi to get it’s IP by DHCP. Then in your router, find where it currently is and map a static IP address to it. It uses the MAC address of the adapter and always hands out the same IP to the Pi. I reserves it for that MAC address.

If you must set a static IP address on the Pi, then try to run the raspi-config utility. I pretty certain you can do it under there. I don’t have access too my pi at the moment to confirm.

I am not sure what post you are referring to, but there is also this KB article as well: https://openrepeater.com/knowledgebase/topic/configuring-a-static-ip-address

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

OpenRepeater is offered free of charge. Find out how you can support us.

Aaron,

Thanks for the response. I have two problems with what you suggest. Our router setup is rather complex because it is shared by a number of users. Basically, setting the DHCP address the router assigns as static is not an option I have. I have to use one that was assigned to this particular application.

Second, it is the KB article I’m having difficulty with. What the article suggests does not match what OpenRepeater setup. The KB article shows a number of items that are supposed to be in the file indicated, /etc/network/interfaces. What is actually in the file is what I posted in my original comment. This suggests the KB article is out of date and things have changed since it was posted 6 years ago.

I’m a hardware geek and a true novice in navigating the Pi file structure so it is very possible I’m doing something wrong, hence the plea for help. I will try raspi-config utility tomorrow.

Loren – W1UV

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

Hoping your were able to have success.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

OpenRepeater is offered free of charge. Find out how you can support us.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.