Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

There is no distribution IMG of 2.2.0. As mentioned it needs built via a script on top of a fresh OS. The actual build script is located here: https://github.com/openrepeater/scripts/tree/2.2.x

The read me is pretty detailed and the commands are pretty much copy and paste.

I’m currently working on starting to merge 3.0 UI design code with base 2.2.x code so I can get to a point of being able to have others test the code.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

OpenRepeater is offered free of charge. Find out how you can support us.

Ahh man… I am stuck on the very first part. I can’t figure out how to “create an empty text file and save it to the “boot” partition” I can create an empty text file saved as ssh, But I’ve been looking and I can’t find a way to save it to the boot partition.

Since I have a monitor, key, and mouse I can use I am tempted to skip this step and go straight to step 4. But reading through the readme I’m not sure but that may sabotage the whole set up.sigh….

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

2.2.0 will likely not be release at an IMG file for download…it’s more of a transitional version to 3.0. That said, it really isn’t hard to build if you can SSH and know some basic Linux commandline. Each of the Github repos (openrepeater and scripts) have branches. So what you see when you go to one of those branches is the default branch. That gets set to the current stable/public release. You want to change the branches to 2.2.x to see that set of code/commits. To build 2.2.x you just need a fresh copy of Raspbian and to follow the readme for the script. For 2.2.x you would go here: https://github.com/OpenRepeater/scripts/tree/2.2.x

I’m currently working on merging the 2.2.x code base with the new 3.0 UI design. That will be the next major “downloadable” release. We are also working on an interim release that will be version 2.1.3, that should be available soon. It should be functionally identical to 2.1.2, but the main difference is it will have an updated kernel to support the Raspberry Pi 4 8GB.

Yeah, I got GMRS also partially because of my wife/son who really have no interest in getting their Ham license. This will cover them when we need to use radios for whatever activities. Also figured it would be good to tinker around with ORP at some point for GMRS repeater setups as well. I believe there are already a number of users that have used it for that.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

It is really quite simple. When you image SD card, it creates two partitions. One is FAT32 called boot which you can access on a Windows machine and the other is the primary linux partition where the all the good stuff lies. You cannot see this when mounted on a Windows machine. Raspbian has a special feature when you first burn a card. Once you are done burning the IMG to the card you can remount it on the computer (some programs eject or unmount the drive when burning is completed), then you should see a drive show up called “boot” this is where you save a empty text file called “ssh” with not extension (so not something like ssh.txt). You have to make sure that it doesn’t append .txt or anything else. The file should have no contents. All this is is a means to set a flag. When Raspbian boot from the main linux partition is checks out the boot partition and if it sees this empty file, it will enable some basic form of SSH so that you can access the board headless.

Otherwise, you can certainly skip this step and use the Keyboard and Monitor. Once you follow the steps in the build script, you will fully enable SSH for the root user. Note that the script will also remove the pi user when completed.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

Well my first attempt failed. It seems the user pi was never deletes and I wasnt able to log in as root.

When I got to this part:

Change to the root folder
    # cd /root

It said it didn’t exist I think. I should have wrote it down. So I logged out and tried to log in as user root but I would let me. I finally rebooted and used “other” and got logged in as user root but there was only a trash can icon on the desktop. No terminal, clock or anything.

I’ll make a new image and this time I will write it down or take a picture so I can be more specific on what happened. I wonder if I am using the correct version because the link to version 10 I think it was, is 404.

I re-imaged my SD card and checked the version just to make sure.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat /etc/os-release
    PRETTY_NAME=”Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)”
    NAME=”Raspbian GNU/Linux”
    VERSION_ID=”10″
    VERSION=”10 (buster)”
    VERSION_CODENAME=buster
    ID=raspbian
    ID_LIKE=debian

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

Hello Jimmie,
    Sounds to me like you might have missed setting up the root user or are not logged in as root. The Raspberry Pi OS comes with the pi user setup and it has sudo privileges. By default, the root user is not enabled. This is part of the Prepare your OS to Install Headless (https://github.com/OpenRepeater/scripts/tree/2.2.x#prepare-your-os-to-install-headless) section in the scripts read me.

In a nutshell:

• You Start with a bare Raspbian OS
    • Under the pi user: You then fully setup SSH, the root user, and ssh privileges.
    • You then log out as the pi user and login as the root user
    • As the root user: you download and run the script.

My theory is if you are are using a keyboard/monitor instead of ssh, you are still logged in as pi and not root. At the end of the Prepare your OS to Install Headless section under Restart SSH, it says to log out as the pi user and back in as root. You should do this, even if you are using a keyboard/monitor. You do not want to be logged into the pi user at all when the script runs or else the script may not be able to delete the pi user. In other words don’t rely on a su (switch user) command. From you keyboard type ‘exit’ and then log back in as root with the password you set at step 7.

If you are getting errors running the ‘cd /root’ that tells me that you are 1) most likely logged in as the pi user. Now the pi user has sudo privileges, so to check this you could type ‘sudo cd /root’ if that works then you likely enabled the root user. Don’t bank on that, as that directly might still exist with the root user disabled. 2) you may have not setup the root user. Best thing to do is to log out and log in as root with the password you should have setup at step 7.

If you can get in there, then you are golden. If you didn’t get past the ‘cd /root’ then that tells me that you haven’t run the script yet. So you can pickup where you left off. Note that if you follow the other steps in the read me prior to this point then you should have SSH and the root user properly setup. You can also log in headless via SSH.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Aaron, N3MBH.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Aaron, N3MBH.
Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.