Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Can I use an RM-Maxtrac-RM to Raspberry Pi and then use OpenRepeater software to make a simple repeater? I am currently using an ID-O-Matic IV but I really want to try OpenRepeater.

Thank you, Jimmie Nichols / ke0eyh

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

Jimmie,
    Yes in theory you should be able to…although it is still in development. You would have to do a custom build of 2.2.x using the GitHub script. 2.2.x has added some backend code updates to add support for Hidraw type devices. I have done some general testing with the DMK-URI and with the USB-RIM Lite…which is the close cousin to the RIM-Maxtrac. I think the circuitry is identical, but the connection is different. To set it up it would require you to use the temporary dev_ui to push some settings into the database. This would require editing some PHP arrays. It’s a work around until the new 3.0 UI redesign is completed. At that time it would be married with the 2.2.x code base.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

OpenRepeater is offered free of charge. Find out how you can support us.

Thank you for the reply!!
    Ok well that’s not what I was hoping to hear. But it sounds like it will be possible in the future. I’m comfortable with Linux and Rpi as well. But I am no coder at all. I can follow directions very well and probably my best attribute is that I’m persistent.
    Since I’m new here I have no idea what the status of code development is. I’m looking at The Asterisk app_rpt too.
    I set up “my first” repeater a month ago. It’s 2 GM300 radios, ID-O-matic IV Controller, Harris 6 cavity duplexer, 400Max coax with a Tram 1486 @ 40′
    I’m the linux guy for our Amature Radio club here in Ks. I’m sort of on a mission to figure out how to home brew a controller although my buddy Dave has a commercial one on his VHF machine he wants one for another UHF repeater and wants/needs DTMF tones. The ID-O-Matic doesn’t have them. Controllers are expensive of course so I’m researching and learning. I appreciate your help and advice.

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

No problem and it is coming. Just keep an eye out for version 3 of ORP as it will be accessible within the new UI.

If you are comfortable with Linux and RPI, then you would likely have no issues building a 2.2.0 image using our script on GitHub. To implement the USB RIM device, it is just a matter of editing a PHP file (which some example configs exist) and running that file to inject the proper settings into the DB. This is a run once operation. The 3.0 UI will just make this more accessible and straight forward.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

Now that is good news thank you. I don’t have the RM-Maxtrac-RM just yet so when I get it my hands on it here in the next few weeks I will be back. I’ve been reading through the hamvoip and AllstarLink forums / install documents and I have a really good handle on how to make that work. The two things I want to have are the advanced controller features and linking capabilities because I would like to be able to link 2 GMRS Repeaters together in the future. The linking with AllstarLink and hamvoip are a little touchy because my repeater is GMRS. The clubs of course are Ham and I need to make sure that are separated and can’t be accidentally linked. Sorry I Kno that’s a little off topic. But it leads to my question of can OpenRepeater link via internet/voip too?
    Oh and I definitely will look over building the 2.2.0 image

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

By default 2.1.2 and I think back to maybe 2.0.0, port 1 functions as a full duplex repeater, any additional ports are setup as simplex ports with reduced ID and all link together.

In 2.2.0, I’ve reworked the back end to add more support for the SVXLink linking feature. The new linking features are going to be referred to in ORP as link groups. You can have up to link groups and put each port into one of those four groups. Yes, four is to deal with an large amount of ports. ICS has been working on an 8 port controller. The links can be set as persistent or on demand. In 2.2.0, some of that has to be configured through the temporary dev_ui and PHP arrays as mentioned above to get the proper settings into the database that the backend expects. When 3.0 is release it will expose these setting in a more friendly way in the UI.

Aside from EchoLink (which is Ham), we do have a beta module for FRN (Free Radio Network). Some of the work we are doing on 3.0 is to make way to add different port types in the future like VOIP ports using SVXReflector. This is not tied into a Ham only network, so it should be a good candidate for GMRS users.

I went ahead and got my GMRS license last year. So once things settle down, I hope to do some more configuration options with ORP and GMRS applications.

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

Looking at github I don’t see a 2.2.0 image.

Aaron, N3MBH
    Forum Administrator

Yes the site does currently block URLs except from admins.

The branch for the script would be under 2.2.x

Aaron – N3MBH / WRFV871

Ok thank you Aaron. I have ordered my RIM-Maxtrac-RM and I already have an extra Rpi B3+. So in a couple weeks I’ll have all my hardware. If your willing to give me some guidance on building and editing the PHP files that would be awesome! But your not obligated of course. It’s also cool you’ve got your GMRS license too. We’ve been using GMRS here to try and drum up anyone interested in radio but not prepared to take any tests. In fact that’s the reason I’ve put up this repeater. And like I mentioned my buddy Dave kd7qas has 2 repeaters one being a simple set up with only Morse ID and no DTMF. This will be a cool way to introduce him to the power of open source and linux. Either way I appreciate your hard work.

Jimme

I’m cleaning up the bunker today and setting my Pi up with a fresh install of Version 2.1.2 to play with. If you’re inclined to get me a copy of or access to 2.2.x that would be great. I think I going to get images of AllstarLink and HamVoip too just in case. I have several class 10 SD cards from my op25 work I was doing this past summer. I did run into some power supply issues back then so I probably should get a couple of extra power supplies too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.